Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Blogs

I read a blog this morning and it didn't really impact me until I began to think about my kids.  It was about how people complain about first world problems and don't even think beyond themselves.  For example I could write a blog about how our new fridge is five times larger than our old one (a first world concern).  Or I could write about the times I can't sleep at night because my heart is so broken for our kids.  


Look at these faces.  These are children who are growing up without parents.


The people that truly care about them in their lives are paid workers (sometimes) and H2H staff.


Many of them will fight their entire life trying to erase lies about their worth and value.


Yes, they are blessed, they have food, clothes, a roof over their head and the opportunity to go to school.  For many of them their future was made brighter when they were given up to the state, a fact that is hard to accept because family should be the best option.


I was thinking about my boy this morning and how he is going to be completely on his own soon.  His own place, working and providing for himself.  I am proud of him.  But at the same time I was thinking of how hard it must be.  He still has a long way to go to remove all the negativity and lies from his past.  And if something where to happen to him and he would loose his job...he has no one.  Okay, he will always have us, but that just feels...wrong.  Why does a Romanian have an American as a closest friend?  Is anyone besides H2H staying awake at night wondering when he will ever turn his life over to Jesus?  Why are we so blind to the injustices right in front of our eyes?  Don't misunderstand me, I feel overwhelmingly blessed to be here and to be a part of these kids lives.  But with that blessing comes a longing for things to be made right, for the struggle against evil to be over.  Right now I am called to bring glory to God's name by working with the kids most precious to his heart.  What is he calling you to?  And will you let him break your heart?  Or will first world problems blind you? 

4 comments:

HollyMarie said...

There with you in spirit.. my heart aches too. Sometimes the injustices seem too great, too overwhelming. I pray that God's people won't ignore the plight of so many suffering. And I pray for your boy... that he will be successful on his own and that ultimately he will know Jesus.

Sarah Nan said...

Thank you Mark for the reminder. I have been reminded so much in the days after my trip that "God makes beautiful things out of dust, God makes beautiful things out of us." That song is constantly in my head. I am praying with you that God will make beautiful things out of the dust left in your kids lives. It is a privilege to partner with you guys!

elizabeth said...

thinking of you all and praying.

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I have let first world problems blind me in the past. Lately God has been breaking my heart more and more for these orphans. I recently ran in a race to raise money for an orphanage in Kenya. I feel like as soon as I committed to it, God started to change me heart more and more. It's hard to not feel overwhelmed with the question, "well how am I going to be able to help?" I am so thankful that God is in control and can present opportunities to reach out more. I will keep praying for you guys and the lives that you touch. You both are making a huge difference and are truly inspiring me to let God use me more and more wherever and whatever that may be.