Recipe for a science lesson:
1. Cut a red cabbage into small pieces.
2. Boil red cabbage and let sit for 30 mins.
6. Teach about acids and bases. In this experiment a strong acid will turn red and a strong base will be yellow. Explain the pH scale.
It has been interesting to me to find out what things the kids know and what things they have never heard of before (most often they haven't heard of the scientific terms).
Here the kids are amazed at my "magic" magnets. One of the kids asked me "where did you learn this magic?" The young kids are really excited with anything I teach.
Ionut with his science book. Often I have the kids color a picture (this is showing suspensions -water and oil- and solutions- water and vinegar) to help them learn the science concept.Teaching science in Romanian has been a very stretching task. I have to look up all the science words and often I do not easily find the correct word. (Any one know how to say fault line (referring to earthquake activity) in Romanian?) Another challenge is the kids also have not heard these words before, so combined with my accent, some of the kids do not understand anything I say. Thankfully Sanda is with me to help explain and use easier words for the kids to understand. The joy of working with these kids and their enthusiasm makes it all worth it! I hope to inspire them to have the same awe and wonder of the earth and our Creator that I have.




No comments:
Post a Comment