Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Last Days In Romania

Since we got back from camp we have been doing a few different things. Sunday we went to church at Alpha Omega again, and it was really great. The sermon was translated by one of the H2H staff members and the music was really rocking! The church is mostly made up of young people and Heart 2 Heart has been a big part of starting it and getting it off the ground. We recognized lots of people there, some from the transition houses from last year and this year, and lots of other H2H staff. After church we went had a traditional Romanian meal at one of the camp team translator's house. His mom made us Romanian cheese pie, fried fish, Mousaka (kind of like lasagna without noodles and with eggplant instead), and two cakes. It was all really good and we had a great time.

Monday morning we went to the Peris orphanage where some of the kids we knew from camp live. It was really awesome. The kids were really excited to see us and most of all Claudiau from week one was really happy we came. He was the one who had said to us that he would really like it if we came to see him, so this meant a lot to him. We played with the kids for a few hours and then had to leave, so it was a short but sweet visit. In the afternoon we went to the new baby hospital and fed, changed, and held 20 babies. They were so sweet and it was pretty overwhelming seeing them all there, knowing that they have been abandoned. Thankfully some are being adopted or going to foster care, so they have better chances of a normal life. We went to Hard Rock Cafe for dinner so that we could hang out with some staff maybe for the last time, and we had a great time.

Today we went shopping in the morning and then came back to the house for debriefing. We talked about what to expect when we get home and the feelings we'll have. We had a great time here and we don't want to leave. Even though we've been here for 5 weeks it seems like it has gone by so fast. We know we'll be back here some day, but only God knows when.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I am so glad you guys got to see Claudiau and some of the other kids! Did you happen to see Emanuela (Bubulina - my "little bubble") while you were at Peris or at camp? I know they were going to move her to the other orphanage for older children - but didn't know if that had happened. I heard it's not a great place, so I have been praying for her and the other kids there and just wondered if you had seen any of them and how they were doing?
I miss everyone there - staff, kids, and Alpha Omega people. I feel like you had a big family reunion and I wasn't there (boo hoo). Anyway, I am so glad for you guys - what a wonderful opportunity God has given you. I know He will call you back again because the relationships built with the kids are the only way they know what Christ's love is like. I remember what Jenny told me on my first trip there....after we had passed out shoes and Jenny gave the kids a speech about not giving their shoes to staff in exchange for a piece gum, a light went off in my head and I realized that I was under the assumption that these kids, although abandoned, were being loved and cared for by orphanage staff...I was wrong (some staff do and some staff don't). I began asking a lot of questions and then I asked how do you possibly relate the love of Jesus to kids that don't have any model of this in there lives? I remember she told me that it's people that come back - because then they know they are really cared about! I am so glad you got to go back!!! I am so glad you got to see Claudiau before you left...those relationships have Christ "written" all over them and I know He wants you to go back again - maybe the next time our family can join you too!! I am so thankful for the time and effort you both put into the kids and I know God has used you to show His love to His children! Can't wait to hear more and see pictures when you get back!
Safe travels home!
We love you guys!
Sue (Bob, Heather, & Chloe too)

HollyMarie said...

I can't believe your time there is over already! What an experience; I can see how it would be hard to leave. Children sure have a way of leaving deep impressions... Safe travels!